Wednesday 12 September 2012

July - Atherton Tableland


July = MacKay North

Spent a couple of weeks with family then on the road again.

11 /7
Finally stopped raining . Headed off from Mackay about 9.30. Drove up through Bowen to Guthalunga #54 Roadside overnight camp – a grass picnic area with a loop road around it and caravans parked on both curbs. FLUSH toilets. Looks as though they may be either expanding the parking or putting in a proper caravan park. Chatting to a kiwi couple from Auckland – tour for 6 months every year also. Met a Coromandal couple at the park this morning who have been travelling for 12 years around Australia – this is their last trip.

So many volcanic peaks everywhere – hadn’t thought of Australia being volcanic but must have been very active once when you realise how much land is covered in loam.
12/7
Have decided to whizz up the coast to Mareeba so I can get to the rodeo so have shot through Townsville and am at a park 40km south of Ingham – Crystal Creek (RACQ). Ground to a halt driving and it is going to be too wet to put the solar panels out to charge things anyway but I have pulled them out and read the instructions – small steps. And I want a shower and to do the washing. Was seriously planning free camping but….. have also booked for 3 nights at Lake Tinaroo as I don’t think I will get anywhere at the rodeo grounds. It starts Friday night and runs for 2 days so should be fun. Only half hour drive to Mareeba from there anyway.  Have joined Top Tourist - $30 give 10% discount.
Anyway – now I can take my time and wander back down through the tablelands and be back around Mackay in time to get my sister from NZ.

Thousands of green ants on the neighbours water hose – eeeeek! Have sprayed mine and not putting the feet or anything down tonight. Did manage a very respectable reverse in to the site though in one hit but the angle sites are not too bad .
Another nice drive – top gear and 90km (on navman – nearly 100 on speedo.) Fuel down to 14L per 100km so very happy with that. Must have been the head wind coming over – and all the extra weight I was carrying too I think. Nice flat roads and in much better condition thank goodness. Am still fascinated by all the volcanic cones though – all those Ngaruahoes everywhere – must have been a very active region once long ago.
Could hear dripping last night and thought my hose fitting must have been leaking. Finally got the better of me and I chucked on a jacket and found the torch – only to get wet when I opened the door – very gentle drizzle that wasn’t making any noise on the roof. Whew – back to sleep happy!
How exciting – went to put the washing on then wandered passed a group of people playing with discs and a ball in a rectangle marked with white tape. They are from a caravan club and are here to play disc bowls. All so excited about it. About 30 in the club from ‘all over’ – Charters Towers, Townsville etc.  The big nomad mid-week outing!
13/7
Headed of this morning around 8 and had a lovely drive along miles of valleys among these high peaks. Cardwell is a lovely seaside village – might have to stay there sometime. Still heaps of sugar cane on all these flats between the hills, and starting to get bananas.
Got to Gordonvale and went to McDonalds for a coffee – got into a car park with a sign saying no trucks, trailers or caravans – didn’t see it until I came back out! Oops – but got out OK. Then turned left off the Bruce Highway – following navman heading for Lake Tinaroo caravan park. WELL – the road wound its way for miles and miles up and along those hills I had been admiring!!!! Down to 2nd gear and 30km most of the way AND there were so many road works where we had to wait to be let through AND they were all on slopes – great fun trying to get going again with the van on. The navman map looked like a kids scribble pattern! Then I read that there are 300 hairpin bends on this road.   Without the van it could have been fun but such a lot of traffic. Beautiful rain forest and I would have liked to have stopped at the lookout for a while but…. Luckily there were places I could let people pass.  I reckon I have taken 10,000km off my tyres today!!!! At least I didn’t have to go down very far on the tableland side. Lovely farms, lots of cattle.
Then trying to find this park…. Seriously need some decent road signs! Then their computer was down in the office so we all had to sit around for ages, until the guy decided to give us sites without it! The 2 he gave me were hopeless so I found a bloke who parked me in a much better place and went and told the guy where I was. Lots of horrible little sites here with slopes to get up or down on to them – really needs redesigning - and tiny roads all round.
Needless to say I feel a bit stuffed tonight. Aircon roaring – pretty humid and I don’t want to open anything – lots of mossies around and my arms and feet are so bitten by those sneaky sandflies that you don’t see or hear!!!!  At least I have internet – oops power just gone off and then on again – could be interesting place to be for 3 days. Chatty people here.
LESSON FOR THE DAY – make sure I know where I am going before I leave!!!!
Gold coin donation sausage sizzle tomorrow night – must be the camp’s big social event!

14/7
Rodeo at Mareeba. Hundreds of nomads there – did wander around trying to find ones off the Grey Nomad website but gave up. insane place! Rodeo good but very large arena so not easy to see – not as intimate as Raetihi! Warm day but a breeze thank goodness. Very expensive food $16 for corn cob and small pork spare-rib!

Sausage sizzle at park – very pleasant. All spoke about where we were from etc. I was the only ‘foreigner’ and got a clap!
15/7
Quiet day. Washing – into the drier as rained and drizzle. Wiz a lot of the day. Contacted from ‘Loki’ – to meet at Rocky creek Monday. Did a couple of short walks. Thought I had a buyer for the battery but too big for him. Tidied the back of the truck a bit. Smell – maybe something died in the golf bag but can't see or get out – frog?
16/7 
Went to Rocky Creek free camp. Lots still here. Met up with Loki - GN site. 70y Canadian forester who has lived in Tasmania 40 years. Took him to Granite Gorge then to Mareeba – Coffee Works, then Coles for groceries.  We are having prawns with pasta sauce and spaghetti tonight. Went through the Mareeba cemetery – lots of mausoleums there and above ground double graves all granite or tiles. Mostly Italian names so must look into the history. All very clean and tidy.

Fired up the generator tonight as well. Still haven’t used the solar although could have today – sun finally.
17/7
Good sleep –until 8.30! Have put the solar out today. Packed tent pegs away and clean out van, polished truck. Sold the marine starter battery that Jayco put in the van for $80. Could get depressed with blokes telling me I have been ripped off – paid too much for solar – but then they all get stuff on Ebay and know what they are doing!
Tried using the computer while charging on 12v but it doesn’t seem to like that! Glued up some more trim inside the van also. loki has headed south to Tinaroo to camp in the park.
18/7
Fired up the gas hot water for the first time this morning. By the time I walked all the way to the loo and made breakfast I had hot water for a shower. Free camping is fine but I do like a hot shower every day. Will be interesting to see how much water I have used. As you can see by the photo the free camp I have been at is VERY popular. Allowed to stay 3 nights. There are waves of people who come and go every day. Probably 50 – 80 there each night.
All the rocks under the trees have regiment info on them from WW2.


Decided to go to Millaa Millaa caravan park. I have driven about 50km this morning up into the misty mountains. I see there is a social golf course here. Maybe I will shake the cobwebs out of the clubs! Tiny village and a small park – about 20 sites. Very damp underfoot – good thing I have 4x4 to get the van in and out on to the grass site! Had to put the jockey wheel on a board so it didn’t disappear! But I think I will find a hardware and get 4 more for the feet  - unaccustomed as I am to soft wet ground!!!! Still – at $15 per night and the ablutions are right behind me…. :)
This area is so pretty - like NZ – rolling hills with cattle grazing on real green grass. Lots of lovely bush – rainforest. Windy road but nowhere near as bad as the 300 hairpins I did on Gillies Hwy. Once the fog lifts it will be interesting to see where I am. Apparently it is usually clear after lunch!
There are lots of craters and waterfalls in this area to visit – and dairy factory that makes chocolates etc. – heaven. 
So now I am set up with power again – don’t think solar will help at this place – I had better read up and see what I need to visit in the next couple of days. Heaps within 50km so that is good.
Went to the Mungalli Dairy and had lunch – Devonshire tea with Dollop cream, and Sicilian Cheesecake  - yum. Crazy little single lane strip of sealed road winding along the ridges and lots of tourists including buses!!!! Then headed down Palmerston Highway looking for waterfalls. Longish walks and bugs so didn’t bother but did take a ‘tourist drive’!!!! Scared myself silly and was very nervous for quite a way. Luckily I realised there was another car behind me and I also realised where I was going to come out – a ‘no entry’ road I had seen earlier. BUT had I not been able to go all the way I would have had trouble turning around and a long way to back out around the corners – maybe 5km!. A sign saying ‘danger – beware of old mine shafts’. It was a sealed road but only very narrow and the rainforest all around, and long grass hiding any drains etc. Whew! Stopped at Crawford Lookout but didn’t go to the treetop walk - $15 I heard – maybe another day when I come back to Paronella Park.
Came back to Elinjaa and Millaa Falls and did walk to them.
Bus load of US teens in togs getting their photo taken in the Millaa pool – quite cold by the look of it! Fungus photo taken with flash – might blow it up and frame it I think.
Got 4 paving tiles from the caretaker to put my feet down on so they don’t disappear into the ground.
Chatted to a lovely old couple here for a couple of months. Can duck out the back and on to the 9th tee of the golf course!
19/7




Off to Malanda then Neranda tea place, up to Yungaburra and then to Gallo Dairylands for Devonshire tea. Bought some camembert. Then to Atherton. Got fuel and went to hardware for wood. Scored a short plank of hardwood that they cut in to  4 – perfect for the van feet and FREE! Went through crystal cave but didn’t bother paying to go down to ‘grotto’. Old town and quite hilly. Went up to the lookout as well.
Back down Kennedy highway to Mt Hypipamee crater.

 
Amazing. 58m down from platform to green lake. Old gas explosion pipe crater. Nice walk. Met another couple that are staying here as well.
Decided to put out the awning for the first time! Got the book out and was struggling when neighbours came along and helped me.


20/7
Day ‘at home’ – did the washing, went into ‘town’ for bottle water etc, played Wiz, then got the golf clubs out! Did 3 holes – right hip collapsing a bit – keeps ‘catching’ me. And it was actually quite cold at 4pm. Can still hit a ball though. Had the heater on in the evening – damp feeling.
21/7
Lovely sunny day. Went to Ravenshoe via Tumoulin road – nice drive.  Steam train doesn’t operate now and the railway yard was pretty full of campers. Will go there Monday just in case I can get in but need to be there early I think. So off to Herberton to the historical village. Very clean and tidy and interesting displays in about 50 houses. Bit of a worry when things form my childhood are now in museums though L Took a couple of hours to get around. Fire brigade busy over the creek with a bush fire – back burned it I think. 














Have decided my sense of direction is ‘off.  Around here – north and south seem the wrong way round!

Have put the awning away again – let the morning sun get on the van to warm it up! Hope I have done it right!
22/7
Lay day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment