Friday 14 September 2012

14 Sept - Longreach



Cool morning so on the road by 8am. Lovely drive – mostly in top gear. No wind, almost no traffic, but many drivers in utes giving me a wave – that was nice. I do like the creamy-tan coloured seal on the roads – pleasant change from black. Lots more of the orange flowering trees, (silky Oaks? No maybe Fernleaf Grevillia) a little purple shrub, then out on to the flood plains again. Only scattered low trees there.


Barcaldine – well – what an ugly wooden structure I thought as I got into town. Upon closer inspection changed my mind. It covers the labour movement tree  'Tree of Knowledge’ I think (now dead) and there are dozens of pieces of wood hanging down that move in the breeze like a giant set of chimes. Lovely sound.
4 pubs in 2 blocks – thirsty place.
Illfracombe - one side of the road has dozens of old tractors, trucks etc all painted and lining the length of the town1 didnt stop. 
Ilfracombe - a small town with a very long line of old trucks, tractors, and other machinery right along the main road. Well cared for it seems - painted and tidy, but didnt stop.
You will need to tip your head sideways to see the wood chimes properly......

Fuelled up and on to Longreach. Called into the SHF and found the Curator, down in the Art Gallery. Bit stressed but settled when he realised I was here to help him. Hundreds of photos to be scanned and catalogued, then eventually put on the internet. Have booked in to the Tourist park for 3 nights in the meantime and will move to the SHF on Monday. Can park around the back and use the showers there!!!!

Then had a panic attack. Went online to tell Centrelink I had not earned any wages again this fortnight – couldn’t get in to the site. Last time that happened they cancelled the pension, so found the local office and shot in to sort it. Wont ring them – cost me $35 last time to wait 40 min for an answer to my phone call! It seems that since I have retired as of 30 June this year that I don’t have to report to them anymore. Relief. Don’t have to make sure I have internet connection on the due dates! Best of all there were NO queues in the office – I was the only customer. They also gave me an info sheet about claiming for caravan park rent assistance if I spend time there. Chatted to the lovely ladies in there about ‘grey nomads’ and their driving ‘skills’ – and serious lack thereof!


Wandered the streets in Longreach for a while. Definitely a country town. Real cowboys, and Jillaroos, clothing shops with ‘sensible’ country clothes, and best of all – a stage coach with 4 horses came into town. That looks like a fun ride. No Coles or Woolies but found the IGA.
Will do the tourist thing for a couple of days then move to the hall on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment