Tuesday 11 September 2012

April - Carnarvon



24/4
Back in civilisation – power and water!!!! Left at 8.30 – at Carnarvon by 12, with a fuel stop at Wooramel.


Very warm here – have been dripping all day. Fuel went from 15l per 100kmm to 17.5 when I used the aircon on Sunday – only for a few 5 min stints – and drove in top gear a lot of the way  so …… tried having windows open a bit and no fan blowing warm air at me and staying in 5th gear – that seems to work OK – down to under 15L today. Have to tighten the mirror again – wind down the window and hold it out when I see a big truck coming! Got the bottom off but need a socket I think. Might end up getting a big door mirror yet if it keeps getting loose.
Road reminded me of the Desert Road today – very low scrub. Saw a few goats, an emu and some cattle. Not a lot of traffic but at least trucks toot when you let them pass – and some of the vans.

Strong wind also today so hard work driving. The van wobbled a bit at times so just travelled a bit slower. Carnarvon is like a tropical oasis. Palm trees everywhere and GREEN. The drive up here is VERY flat and low grey scrub so quite a shock to see all this green. Have good water at this park – can drink it! The station I stayed at only had bore water.
Got a man to back me into the park site – have two concrete wheel pads to sit on and a concrete ‘deck’ beside them so that is nice. He hooked me up to power and water as well. Need to reorganise the truck – books to the back seat and clothes and golf clubs to the back!
An old coot raced over all excited when I arrived – was sure we had stayed at the same place last night. He was lucky I didn’t tell him to f*@# off – was trying to back the van and was feeling very hot and sticky so him not offering to help didn’t please me much.
Feels like time for a shower then ‘drinkies’ I guess. Love the idea of the box of port!
25/4 Went to visit friends – they took me to the Anzac service at 11.  Hate to admit it but that is the first one I have ever been to!  Then we went out on the mile long jetty by ‘coffee pot’ train, and lunch at a pub. Bookwork for the rest of the afternoon.

26/4

Gascoyne road to Rocky Pool – 4km in on dirt but really rough around the river’s edge and no real shade so took photos and left. Washed the truck –oops – I mean ‘ute’. Have been told to get it right!!!!

Went to electronic place – can install rear view camera on van/ute on Saturday morning – I hope. $250 plus labour – 2-3 hours.
27/4
Repacked ute – boxes to back seat. Put foldup table in the van and the stupid wonky one now in the back of the ute!!!! Paid $60 for a socket and wrench thing to do the mirrors!!!! Out to the blowholes. Awesome powerful sea out there – quite amazing. Interesting rusty corrugated iron bach/shacks – the Australia holiday home it seems. SCARY! Wouldn’t catch me going near one of those. Baby sitting tonight and TV - first time since I left.
 








No comments:

Post a Comment