Monday 8 October 2012

Back in Longreach



Spent a few days with family and back at Longreach now complete with the very itch sandfly bites all over my legs!
I find Capella is a good halfway stop, although might try Rubyvale or Sapphire another time - but then may not be doing the trip again with out the 'bed' in tow.
 No fuel or food  if you want to leave Capella by 7am -  nothing until Sapphire it seems. I am learning - take fruit at least.

Called in to Clermont this time. Looks like a lovely town also. I like the way it is set up on a rise with wide streets. Also an IGA open on Sunday which was handy.


 Some massive 'movements' on the road on Sunday. Two huge bulldozers - they dont take the blades off to transport it seems, then an extremely wide thing that had me right off the seal parked on a slope. Thank goodness I didn't have the caravan with me.
 



It was great this trip being able to stop and take photos of those crazy peaks that sprout out of the landscape. I wish sometimes that I had a better camera - or at least one with a wide-angle lens. 
The grain has gone from green to gold now. Must come through this way again when there is green grass as well - and the road works are finished would be nice!


I do enjoy the road from Capella to Rubyvale. As you can see a little caution is required at times though, and the ford the cattle were heading to has a little bit of water flowing over it so no doubt when it actually rains the road may be impassable.
There is a road that goes to Clermont near here also. I need to find out if it is sealed. I am told the one from Alpha to Clermont is not sealed - but Navman keeps trying to send me that way!

Met a 'mad' Kiwi at Jericho last week. He is riding his push-bike 18,000km from London to NZ - in this heat and on these roads!!!! Has been  through Europe, Asia, China and now heading to Brisbane, then down to Melbourne. Had a look at his Facebook page - great photos. We have been to so many of the same places on our Aus. trip so I have enjoyed seeing  all the things I could not get off the road to snap. 
Check him out on Adam Glover Cycling -  Google it. Amazing trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment