Wednesday 6 March 2013

Black Cockatoo, Greens lake, Aysons


Cool and cloudy again. Left around 10 – drove up through the Coonawarra wine region, Penola, to Narracorte then Black Cockatoo Bush camp. Pretty dry and sandy, $8 for site – no power but good clean toilets and solar heated shower. Big area – but only the caretakers here in their van! About 3km of good(?) dirt road.
Stopped to get the right headlight bulb replaced - $12 – and bought 2 more ($16).
Good roads in SA – very few bumps, but a wide sealed verge with lots of passing areas. Pleasant change. Very quiet evening- read for a while. Caretakers went out so no-one to talk to.
Fri March 1st VIC again.
Remembered it was a friends 70th birthday on 2nd so headed back to Greens Lake!  Forgot to take ute out of high 4x4 – was wondering why I seemed to be using a lot of fuel!!!!! Again!!!! 18 & 20L per 100km – ouch! I so need a flashing light  instead of the little diagram thingie on the dash!
Enjoyed the drive – nearly 8 hours with a few short stops to do 450km but who is in a hurry! It is still very dry everywhere. Arrived around 6.30. Five other Nomads there.
Sat 2nd
Off to Maroopna with the birthday boy. Did washing, had coffee then lunch with  friends and family, and back to the lake about 3pm. GN lady I met at Mt Gambier arrived – is staying with me for 2 nights so reorganised the van beds etc. Cooked a big stew for shared dinner party. Very pleasant evening – bed around 10.30. Thought we would sample the bottle of Rum Liqueur that I bought in Kunnunurra - WOW talk about rocket fuel! Decided it would be great as a medicinal product - to kill external cuts etc like they used to do in the wild west!
Quite ‘noisy’ sleeping in the tent again - can hear coughing, tent zips, bugs and birds. Didnt hear my companion down the other end of the van though, and I presume she didnt get too disturbed by my snoring.
Sun 3rd
Beautiful calm warm morning, and a quiet day – feeling a bit weary – broken sleep I guess.   
Flipped off my caravan step this afternoon as I trod on it – and twisted my back and banged my shin – AND spilt my drink!!!! Ouch!
 Noisy party way down the other end of the lake late in to the night - fruit picking backpackers  in full voice.
Mon 4th
Went to Kyambra to get a new step - $75. Metal one now.   Put the van back together – rearranged the bed etc. Tried a 19v computer charger - need to get one as my computer doesnt like the 12v one - would save running the genny to charge it all the time..  
Tues 5th
Off to Aysons Reserve this morning. The other nomads have almost all gone and the thought of the Pole who has lived in a tent at the lake for 3 months being my closest companion - I dont think so! We have all ended up at the reserve as a group again. 
Seems to be mossie free but there are a few flies. Put the yabbie net in the river.
Wed 6th
 Caught 4 yabbies but they  are really are too small to be bothered with so let them go. Could have used them for bait though. Woke up to a real morning chorus – haven’t heard so many birds for a very long time. Lots of Kookaburras also. Will stay here a few days I think. Long weekend coming up and a food festival at Swan Hill so will be busy on the roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment