Thursday 14 February 2013

Warrnambool, Fitzroy river

 Went to the only caravan repairer in Colac for a new door handle. Nice couple. Half hour job - $125. Handle was $92. 
Spent 2 days at a Caravan park in Warrnambool, and did the trip back to Port Campbell. Had a yummy birthday lunch there. The coast is certainly spectacular but so many Tourists now - reminds me of Rotorua! The rivers are much prettier here but some dont flow out to the sea at the moment - sand bar. Saw the same in WA.
Warrnambool certainly seems to be a town on the move - big new shopping centres and suburbs. Hopkins River has the lovely old boat sheds - now a restaurant.
Off towards Portland. Didnt get to stop in Port Fairy - missed the turn in to the rest area then too hard to turn around. Some lovely little cottages there. Long and very tidy dry stone fences all over many of the farms  and the big ugly old Macaracapa hedges for wind breaks.

Decided to stay at Sawpit camp, but then felt I didnt want to be there. Had lunch and spent ages trying to work out where I could park so that I would be fairly level - and where I could actually drive without wiping off the top of the van! Heaps of big trees but quite close together. A very peaceful spot no doubt but.... Maybe it is the thought of bush fires at the moment! Several people there but finally headed back to Fitzroy River mouth.
So - once again beside the water and on lush green grass! Still in dairy country but they have had a bit of rain. A fishermans spot I think - some look as they are here for a while but at $20 a week or $5 a night and room to tie up the tinnies..... Went for a walk along the river almost out to the sea. Another one blocked by sand but a camper tells me that the tide has been coming in to the river for a couple of days. I can see where the 'wall' has been breached (right end of photo).
Saved myself $300 for a wide angle lens. Tried the Canon 'Stitch' program - and stitched 4 photos into the one below! As good as I could do with Photoshop I think and so much faster!



No comments:

Post a Comment