Thursday 8 November 2012

Lake Keepit, Tamworth

Very heavy rain for a while last night at Coonabarabran. Glad I stayed another night.

A very pleasant drive today via Gunnadah to Lake Keepit. Rolling hills, and tree lined roads. Still lots of Cypress among the gums. Not much traffic but lots of new seal.
Out of the hills with a great view over flat arable land but for a change the road stayed off the plains. Maybe it means they dont get so flood damaged. Rich dark soil here - loam I presume.
Gunnedah is in a pretty spot tucked up the side of the hills but didnt stop. The road by-passed the town so no cup of coffee easy to find - just kept going.

 Good sealed road in to Lake Keepit. I thought there was a 'free camp' here but it costs $15 and there are a few km of dirt road to get to that area (eek MUD!)- or $24 for powered site - so here I am again.
Heavy rain and thunder this afternoon so I think the Caravan park was a good idea. Dont really want to deal with the mud or to get bogged in a 'bush camp'. Solar wont work in the rain - and I am just a sissy anyway!
BUT - it has rained twice in 2 days!!! I think since I left Perth in April I have had 3 days rain up until now! Eat your hearts out Kiwis :)

What a great spot. Loads of room, huge areas of mown grass, good facilities and I gather there are boats for hire further down. The head of the dam is very near here.  The lake edge is dirt that has been bulldozed by the look of it. Man-made lake I guess.

Nearly squashed a little tortoise (turtle?) crossing the road - good thing they move slowly!

No comments:

Post a Comment